After more than 10 years monitoring the Bailin aquifer:
• The pollutant and its behaviour are known in depth,
• The characteristics of the aquifer are known in depth,
• The capacity limits to pump the pollutant have been reached.
Over the last 4 years:
• The laboratory oxidation test has reached high rates of destruction of the existing pollutant.
Along last year:
• The main contamination source (former HCH landfill) has been dismantled. This allows us to validate the feasibility and effectiveness of the successful laboratory results obtained.
After the successful microcosms (conditions) created in the lab with soil and groundwater samples from the polluted site, the aim is to assess in situ whether the treatment is able to oxidise the targeted pollutants and reach removal efficiency levels and acceptable oxidant efficiency levels. To that end, a pilot test will be developed at the site.